City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

visitors

Mmm... So nice to finally have a few minutes to sit down and write and get caught up with my blog. I've had so much work to do for school in the last two weeks, and, additionally, I've had VISITORS! Brian was here April 17 through April 20, and Heidi, her mom, and Katie came April 19 through April 23. Yes, their visits overlapped, and I was one busy tour guide!

Brian stayed with our friends Jerad and Liza in Queens, and we met up during the days to (a) print my group's 400-page curriculum project and get it bound (b) eat Chinese food and get a free cone at Ben & Jerry's (c) explore Greenwich village and (d) check out the i-pods at the Apple store. Also, I skipped my science class on Wednesday night so I could join Brian, Jerad, and Liza for some of Jerad's home cooking and some catching up in their kitchen. Brian and I picked up fresh cheese, bread, and a pie at the farmer's market in Union Square.

On Thursday night, Heidi, Katie, and Heidi's mom arrived, and I met them and Brian in Times Square for drinks. My original plan was to take them to my favorite lounge - Flatiron Lounge, but the Wisconsin visitors were reluctant to get on the subway that night. The next place I suggested was way too loud, so we ended up at a lame pub where there was a real live dog sitting on the bar and guys walking around with their beer bellys hanging out. It felt more like northern Wisconsin than New York. I even had a beer. Oh well. I ended up staying that night and the next at the hotel with the girls because:

Two nights eariler a Columbia University grad student had been followed home from the subway to her apartment in my neighborhood, and the man broke into her apartment and raped and tortured her for nineteen hours. He was later (on Wednesday night - the night I came back from dinner in Queens) seen at the grocery store across from my dorm (just fifteen minutes after I got back to my dorm, at night by myself). Needless to say, I was a bit freaked out. He has been caught now, though. Thank heavens!

And so. I spent Friday playing tour guide to the Wisconsin girls. We actually made it on the NBC Today Show; their families at home saw us! Then we went to South Street Seaport for Broadway tickets and lunch outside. It's finally spring here, and we definitely enjoyed the weather. After lunch, we did Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, and Ground Zero. Then I sent the girls to Central Park to relax, and I met Brian at the Metropolitan Opera, where Jerad is doing an internship. Jerad gave us a full backstage, underground, around-the-block tour of the Met. Absolutely awesome! I'm so glad we had the opportunity to see what most people never do; it gives me a whole new appreciation for what happens at the opera every day. From there, I came back to school to get changed, and then I met the WI girls for dinner at an Italian restaurant and to see Curtains! on Broadway. After the show, I took Heidi and her mom to the Flatiron Lounge. Apple martinis to die for.
Saturday we explored Soho, Noho, the East Village, and the West village, we had lunch in Little Italy, and we shopped in Chinatown. We managed not to buy too much, but it was wonderful to walk around and see all the beautiful signs of spring. We went back to the hotel to freshen up, and then we had dinner at Cafeteria. We all four ordered the heavenly baked mac and cheese - "It's like angels peeing on your tongue!" as they say in Greece. After dinner, the girls went back to the hotel and I went to a birthday party at Latitude for Jawahir and Christian. Wine, anyone?
Sunday was spent working on my Master's Thesis, which is now officially done and turned in, as of 10:25 am today. Pray for it! That it will be approved so I really can graduate! In the evening, I went to church and then met the WI girls for "dinner" at Max Brenner. I finally tried the chocolate pizza. Oooh. Delish!
Today finally felt like a normal day. I got to go to the gym, run errands, do school work... all that daily life stuff that doesn't happen when company comes. And guess what. More company comes in two days. Really, I'm looking forward to it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home