City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Monday, July 31, 2006

fabulous

What a fabulous weekend in a fabulous city! On Friday, I went to my first Broadway show. Yay! Alison's friends from CA wanted to go to a show, and since they volunteered to stand in the long line for tickets, I took advantage of the opportunity to go! We saw Hairspray. I'd never heard of it before the Broadway in Bryant Park event, but it was a lot of fun. Check out the website for more about the show. http://hairspraythemusical.com/


Saturday was a big day for exploring. I went to a scrapbooking meet-up and asked the girls there where they shop for supplies in NYC. Apparently there aren't any scrapbook stores here! They suggested a few places in two areas - one area sells stationary and invitations and one area sells fabrics and ribbons, etc. It reminded me of shopping in China, where every store on one street sells the same things. I took the subway down to 18th street and started exploring. I found a Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Containers & More, Payless Shoes, Old Navy, Marshall's, and Filene's Basement. I guess I was in a good shopping spot! Then I found a really cool paper store. It made me want to have a party just so I could buy invitations there! :-) I walked all the way up from 18th to about 42nd, and I didn't buy a thing. That's willpower!

On Sunday, I went to the Lutheran church and, after lunch near Lincoln Square, spent a few hours hanging out in Central Park. You should see that place on a Sunday afternoon. I took a picture, but I don't think it does it justice. I staked out a spot in the Sheep Meadow. http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/southend/sheepmeadow There were lots and lots of people sunbathing, reading, napping, and playing football, softball, and frisbee. What a fun place to people watch! In the evening I went to the RPC church, read for class at Starbucks for awhile, and then met friends at a little bar near school. $3.00 frozen margaritas. Can't beat that!

In contrast to my life, my sister and her husband bought a new car this weekend! What a difference... Congrats, Katie and Chris!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home