City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

orbit

Tonight at church Tim Keller spoke on Mark 15:33-39. He started by explaining the darkness that came over the whole land at the time of Jesus' death. He then talked about the darkness that we are in, the darkness that Jesus took upon Himself, and the way in which Jesus' darkness overcomes our darkness. A few of Tim's points stood out to me:

* Who or what do you orbit around? Where does the warmth in your life come from? (You can extend this metaphor for yourself by thinking about the sun/Son.)
* The worst thing that can happen for someone who centers her life on something other than God is for her to reach her goals. Because then she has nothing to live for.
* If ministry or teaching or work is the most important thing in your life, when you are criticized you will be destroyed. If God is the center of your life then you will just be momentarily discouraged. God is what holds the pieces together.
* On the cross Jesus cried out, "My God, My God..." He didn't cry out "My friends!" or "My rights!"
* Jesus began to experience a separation from God's presence and love. It's said that the worst sadness a human can ever experience is the loss of love through death or divorce, and that the longer that love had been in existence the more the loss will hurt. Jesus had been in the presence of God's love for eternity! He lost that love out of His love for us, so that we will not have to experience that separation. Thank God for His love!

Things about church tonight:
1. Jen joined me. Yay! It's so much more fun to go with a friend.
2. I sat next a guy who is an opera singer. It was nice to be next to a guy who isn't afraid to sing! (Though he had a bit of trouble getting the feel of the more swingin' songs; he likes vibrato.)
3. I ran into Megan at the subway stop after church. I haven't seen her since before Thanksgiving when she left on tour with Beauty and the Beast. She went to the earlier service and then to dinner, so it was God-timing that we happened to end up waiting for the train at the same time. She's a beautiful, sweet girl, and I wish I could have spent more time with her this year.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the recap!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home