City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Friday, August 25, 2006

i'm a knitter now

I had my first lesson, and I'm really learning how to do it! It's actually easier than I expected it to be. But I also think it was a good experience because it reminded me what it's like to try something completely new, with no prior knowledge or skills. Yes, my teacher brain was on. I was really identifying with those beginning readers. I felt completely inept at the beginning; my hands were even shaking as I tried to get the feel of it. But I did about five rows before my lesson ended. Thanks, Amy for teaching me! Amy says I'm a real New Yorker, now. Check out the picture!


I also went to Barnes and Nobel today. I could live in that store! If you're wondering what to get me for my birthday next month, I sure wouldn't mind a gift card to the bookstore... I spent a couple of hours browsing books that were recommended at the Reading Institute this week. I also considered a book recommended by a classmate, one he uses in his high school English class - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and I visited the Christian living section to check out Max Lucado books. I had a 15% off coupon burning a hole in my purse, and I ended up buying The Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy Calkins. There were several others I wanted, though, too. I also bought Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Williams. It's a cute kid's book my small group leader, Gravity, used to demonstrate some of the techniques this week. I looked at the book and saw the price and decided I could live without it for now. But on my way out of the kids' section, I spotted it on the discount book shelf (minor damage to the corner) for 1/3 the price! By the way, if you're curious... Gravity's parents were hippies, and she attributes her name to that.

Thank you, God, for another beautiful, wonderful day in New York. I'm loving this city!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Jen, thanks for letting me know you're out there in blog world. It's good to be able to catch up with people even when they are so far away...like in New York. Who knows, we could end up in New York in a year. If you need any blogger code let me know. Yes, the Captivating book is very good. Another good read is, "Do you think I'm beautiful" by Angela Thomas. I'll be sure to stop by your blog more often...now that I know it's here! Have fun in New York!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home