City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

sunny day sunday

It's Sunday, and I went to church three times today. I guess I was making up for other weeks! Actually, I thought I was going to meet some friends for church at RPC at 10:30, but they decided they wanted to go to a later service. I was already up and out bright and early, so I went to Dunkin' Donuts for my Lutheran breakfast ;-) and then I went to the Lutheran church. Today was the first day I've ever gotten there before the service started! Before the service I made tentative plans to meet with Amy for my first knitting lesson on Friday afternoon, and after the service I signed up to help with the clean-up day next weekend.

Then I walked down to the Times Square area where I met my beautiful friend Jenn (who I worked with in China), her new *friend* Dave, and her cousin. We walked for a bit and then enjoyed a fantastic Italian lunch at DaRosina on 46th Street. Their three-course meals were $16, and we had our choice of everything on the menu. I chose a tomato and mozzarella salad, penne ala vodka, and ricotta cheesecake and coffee. Delicious! After lunch we went to Times Square Church for the 3:00 service. Again, quite an experience. They did 70 baptisms during the opening songs. After church, we walked around for a bit and had some more time to catch up on friends in China.

When we parted ways, I hopped on the subway and headed up to RPC for the 7:00 service. I'm definitely a creature of habit. :-) Tonight I actually knew some of the songs we sang. Every service there is like going to a show on Broadway. Well, the offertory music is, anyway. They have been blessed with some amazingly talented musicians at that church! At the end of the service, the pastor told everyone to greet someone new, which they don't usually do. I guess God told him I needed a little help in meeting people. Earlier in the day I lamented to Jenn that, though I have enjoyed the services, I haven't met anyone because the church is so big! She told me more than once that I need to get involved in a fellowship/study group. Well, tonight, at the pastor's urging, I met two girls, Megan and Beth, who invited me to their group! At first I was inclined to say no because of my class schedule for the fall, but then I realized that Tuesday nights, when their group meets, is the only weeknight I don't have class. We exchanged e-mails, and I think I'll check it out. Again, I see God at work.

After the RPC service, I continued with my usual Sunday schedule and went to Starbucks for a drink and some reading - fun reading this week! Unfortunately, I realized just as I finished the coffee that I forgot to ask for decaf. Hopefully I'll be able to go to sleep soon, because I have to get up for the Reading Project Institute in the morning. At 8:00!!! Yes, I am excited, and yes, I will have trouble getting up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home