City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Monday, August 14, 2006

not a bit

I didn't do a bit of work today, and I don't feel even a little bit bad about it! That's how I want my year in New York to be.

This morning I got up and went to the Lutheran Church. Liza's in town for a trade show for work (http://aidtoartisans.org/), so I called her and left a message asking if she wanted to meet for lunch. (She didn't get my message until later in the afternoon, as she was working.) Her hotel turns out to be right across the street from the church! After church, I stayed talking for about 45 minutes. Again, there were only 26 people there, including the pastor and the kids. When they share the peace, everyone shares with everyone! Anyway, I talked with Amy, who I met on my first Sunday there. She's a women's fashion designer for Elliott Lauren and she used to be an LCMS teacher. I think she might try to teach me to knit this fall! After chatting with her and with lots of other really nice people, who are starting to recognize me, I took the subway up to Lincoln Square, and went to Barnes and Nobel to buy a fun book. I've given up on reading for class. Then I went across the street, picked up a salad, and walked to Central Park. What a beautiful day for a picnic and fun reading outside! I got a bit sunburned, and then I moved to the shade to make some phone calls and catch up with friends from home. After a short nap and cleaning up back at the dorm, I met Liza and her work friends for dinner on Bleeker street. They all have a stipend for food, so they picked up part of my tab. And I have leftovers! Then we went for coffee at a cute little coffee shop with rustic wooden floors and tables and an embossed tin ceiling. Along with some great, relaxing conversation, there was a bit of excitement with a guy who was either on drugs or severely ill, who the proprietors were trying to get out of the shop, and with a woman who knocked over a table outside and broke all the dishes on it. I had such fun with the girls, many of whom have traveled internationally and all of whom seemed closer in age and life than some of the people I've meet so far at TC. Now I'm back at school, and it's just after midnight. I think I'll put off work on the paper for just a bit longer... After all, class isn't until 4:40, and life is meant to be enjoyed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home