City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

a new york weekend

On Friday afternoon, I met up with Tom, who I went to high school with. He was visiting family back home, but was on his way back to Europe to finish his master's degree. He's stopping through NY for a couple of days to visit old friends. He dumped his stuff in my room, we ate some Chinese dumplings at Ollies, and then we walked around Riverside Park. I hadn't ever really explored there, and it was beautiful!



On Friday evening, I met Alison at school and we went to the Mets-Dodgers game at Shea Stadium. We met Carl and Katherine there. It was a truly American experience, and a great one at that. Being in China made me appreciate American things like hotdogs and baseball games! (Final score was 0-6.)


On Saturday, Alison and I got up early. Well, early for us. We left school at 9:00 am, went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast, and then went to Target. In the afternoon, Seana wanted to go to the park, so Katherine, Alison, and I met her and walked to Riverside. She showed us how to get right up next to the Hudson River, and she told us about her experience swimming around Manhattan in a relay race. We enjoyed people watching, too. In the evening, I went to a praise service at RPC and met some new people. We went out to dinner at a little diner afterward, and I chatted with and got to know more new people. One of them went to college with Jenn, who I worked with in China!

This morning, Sunday, I planned to meet up with Tom for Broadway on Broadway. Unfortunately, we both slept in too late and didn't even get in touch with each other until well after the show had started. I did manage to find the right place and caught the last couple of songs. According to the website, it's the quintessential New York even: 50,000 spectators, live numbers from Broadway shows, celebrity performs, and a big finale with loads of confetti. Martin Short hosted. It really was a great NY event! Eventually I did meet up with Tom, and we had lunch with two other Kansas - one of whom was Rebecca, who lived one street away from me while we were growing up.

This evening I got a call from Johnny, and he was wondering about the church posters I put up last week (which I still hadn't taken down). Johnny, Cody, and Jenny ended up going to church with me at RPC. The singers who did the offering song were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I also found Laura, Megan, and Charlie tonight. It's nice to finally recognize and know some people in that huge church.

Good times were had by all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home