City Girl

My life in the great city of New York.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

festivals and fairs

I was busy on Sunday!

Alison, Amanda, and I (and another girl visiting Amanda's roommate) left school at 11:00 to go to the San Gennero Festival in Little Italy. It was totally worth the long subway ride! There were 300 vendors, and it seemed to me that most of them were selling food. Fried calamari, Italian sausage, gelato, Italian cookies, pasta, calzones, on, and on. So very tempting! There were also carnival rides and games, and booths selling t-shirts and other paraphernalia with Italian slogans and flags. We went to one of the outdoor cafes for their lunch special. I had cannelloni, and, after walking that off, we stopped for freshly made canoli. Yummy! In contrast to the un-Irish Irish fest, this was quite a cultural event, and I'm hoping to make it back sometime this week!



Next, Alison and I went to a children's bookstore in hopes of meeting Elmo, but apparently the website I looked at was wrong and he had visited last week. So we went to nearby Union Square for the Knit Out and Crochet Event. There were hundreds of people sitting outside knitting and crocheting and modeling what they'd made. We stopped by all the booths to pick up coupons and get some ideas. Then we went to Barnes and Nobel to look for books Alison need for class.

Then, I went to the Autumn Crafts Festival in Lincoln Center. The items for sale were nothing like the things you'd find at a craft fair in the midwest. Much more high end. There were also a couple of very talented musicians playing live and selling their CDs. When I got to the back of the fair by the food booths, I realized that, although there were probably about a hundred people there, it was very quiet. Then I noticed that I kept seeing arms poking out of the crowd. I realized that everyone was signing! I watched for a while, and I was reminded of a butterfly garden with all the fluttering and constant movement. It was a really neat experience.

I met Megan, Sarah, Noah, Noah's friend Sarah Jane, Cody, and Cody's friend Greg for church at RPC. Afterward we went to a Chinese restaurant called The Cottage. Strangely un-Chinese name, but they had good food and served free flowing free wine. What a bargain! I didn't eat much because I was still stuffed from lunch in Little Italy. But I enjoyed the time with new friends.

See? I told you I was busy! 12 hours out and about in this magnificent city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home